Wednesday, February 9, 2011

travelin' along, there's a song that we're singing...


do you take the same route to work every day? is it the comfort in seeing the same familiar people or landmarks that make us take the same routes. or is it the possibility of seeing the same place change ever so slightly. i pretty much take the same few streets to work whether i'm riding my bike or walking.




however the view is much different depending on how my journey is going... obviously if i'm riding i have to pay more attention to cars cutting to my right because they have to get to the highway entrance right away. i mean right now! i can't wait for you..  

but if i'm hoofing it, that is where i start to notice different little things. nothing significant just stuff. 
out there.                             
on my path. 
its kinda nice start my day like that.


i don't know if it's me, if it's only around the beginning of a new year, but it seems like obtaining what happiness is, is an issue. a topic. how does one get it? does one already have it? will having money make it better, make one happier? 
am i happy with where my life is? where are things going? 
am i happy living about fifteen years in the pnw?   do i want to trade in our misty existence for some of that reflective light and snow?
am i happy with my job? should i be doing something else? 
           and if i were to do something else would i even know if i was happy.
if you're happy and you know it clap your hands! oh yes, if it was only that simple. 
personally i think i am happy. my life is good. currently it's not an action packed, eventful life day in, day out. if i want more from it than that is up to me, be the change you want right? i've been taking little steps here and there. i ask myself what makes me happy... being creative. i do feel a little hole when i'm not doing something creative. discipline is an ongoing challenge for me. i have structure elsewhere, at work, with mc61.. but when it comes to my personal commitment to what makes me "happy" i wander off into the tall grass a little too often. 
   
recently i was reading the feb issue of juxtapoz, an article on artist escif (i like to think it's pronounced 'as if') one of the last paragraphs i thought was perfect..   
"i have been told at times that my work is very sad and that it's not a good gift for the cities. my objective is not to do something sad, but something sincere. the cities are flooded with advertising colors that repeat to us time and again how happy we should be. happiness does not come with the desire of everything we will not be able to have. happiness comes with accepting what we have and to love it as if it was the last thing we are going to have"
i liked that. we are bombarded by so many non-essential things in our daily lives. oh the pressure to finding this happiness..not to mention the added heap o' stress that may come from all that pressure to get it. ... then we're so distracted we don't even realize we've probably obtained this thing called happiness. it's like

last weekend i was in seattle, it was a quick work related up and back type gig. none the less we managed to spend time at one of our favorite haunts, even though it's in the market area, and had drinks with one of our favorite people. i'm sure some would think what waste of a day.. i mean we could have been outside being active.  
i don't care. 
for me that is something i don't do all the time and it's important to have those 'special' times with close folks. that's sort of what makes me 'happy'




 seeing those columns makes me happy too. happy they are still surviving the modernization of miss millie! 
way to look out for the classic stuff sea-town!



 meanwhile across town.. 
for some reason the view from the hotel reminded me of u2's unforgettable fire, which i read a long time ago bono said he wrote while staying in a hotel in japan..   carnival. the wheels fly and the colors spin. through alcohol. red wine that punctures the skin. face to face. in a dry and waterless place... 
 

i have to admit i kinda liked being back in the sea-town. i did more walking there then i've probably done the past few months in pdx. funny how sea-town manages to bring that out of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment